Sources

March 10, 2012


#WOTD: I've come to my senses

Senses, sens, sensi, sentido.

"Order out of chaos comes by our senses. If it doesn't feel, look,sound, taste, smell right...it's out of order." - Yolanda

From the time we are young children we are taught to rely on our senses in order to navigate this material, physical world.  We are taught pincer and palmer grasp as children to hold things like pencils and crayons and coins in order to write and hold things in the palm of our hand.  We are taught to listen as we are admonished by our parents, "I told you to listen."  And, we are taught to believe in what we see - the folks who live in Missouri are unofficially called "Show Me State Folks" meaning I'm only gonna believe it if I see it. 

So it is no wonder that we can't understand or even began to appreciate what the Creator is up to.  We sing songs like, "Speak to my heart," but then cry, whine, pray and holler when we don't think the Creator has heard our moan. 

Yet, nature or order has no senses.  Does the tree know its cold?  Or why doesn't a cow need a coat?  Or how can an iguana live in your house and in the one-hundred and three degree temperature of the desert? 

It seems to me that those five little things we have come to depend upon are also the five little things that let us down the most.  "I can't believe my eyes," or "Sounds to good to be true," or what about, "Feels like a trick,"  and on an on we go to describe those things we count on to help us navigate our life and this world.

Today, I know this to be true.  We cannot acess the love, the joy, the order of the Creator using any one of those senses.  We cannot smell, taste, touch, see or even hear G-d.  Yet, the Creator exist inside of us.

Today, get to know your own thoughts.  Take a minute and recognize what you spend your time thinking about - for that will be where your Creator resides and what your physical world reflects.

No comments:

Post a Comment