Sources

March 21, 2012

The Greatness of Misery


#WOTD: The greatness of misery

Greatness, grandeur, grandeza, grandezza.

"All of our miseries prove our greatness. They are the miseries only of queens and kings.

Yesterday as I was paying for my gas at the station (ouch), I overheard a conversation a young woman was having with a friend.  They both wore aprons and appeared as if they worked at the restaurant attached to the station. 

"I'm miserable.  Why can't I find what I really want out of life.  All I do is work at these two jobs.  I'm sick of my life."

There was a time in my life that I knew exactly how she felt.  We all yearn to be fruitful in this life.  God's word admonishes us "to be fruitful and multiply", and while we think of that in terms of procreation - its not just about having children.  Procreating is doing work that you can pass on to others. 

What most of us are yearning for, is for greatness.  To be meaningful in this life.  To do work that is meaningful and that flows naturally out of the gifts and capacities of our souls. 

Yet, most of us look on from the sidelines of our lives while other people do the things we so desperately want to do.  If that wasn't true advertisers and television entertainment wouldn't have us glued to the famous faces of other peoples drama and misery.

Most of us know the frustration of failure, of missing the mark, of saying and doing the wrong thing.  But we also know and have experienceed the joy of getting it right at times.  That's the joy, the greatness that we are strving to keep. 

My favorite author, Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged) once said, "Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be waiting for us in our graves - or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth."

Today, know this to be true; Rediscovering our greatness is our true life's desire.  It will require painful self-examination and letting go of fear of failure.  For our true desire comes from the Creator...And He desires that greatness in and for us...more than we do.

Have a great Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment